Saturday, March 13, 2010

I didn't think it could get worse...

I didn't think it could get worse...but I was wrong.

Tuesday's beta was 602...they put me back on my progesterone and told me to come back Friday for another beta and an ultrasound.

I spent hours reading up on what was going on. I was 99% sure that regardless of what was happening, this was still not a viable pregnancy. After all my research I came to the conclusion that it was a blighted ovum/empty sac.

I went in for my ultrasound expecting bad results, but I wasn't expecting what they found. Looks like my little Fred is camped out in my left tube. Yes, we made it into the less than 1% of IVF pregnancies that are ectopic. It was very clear and we could even see the yolk sac. They said that based on how clear it was they couldn't believe I couldn't feel it there. The nurse immeidately went into panic mode. They started drawing all sorts of labs, checking my blood pressure, etc. Dr. J was in a different office that day so he wanted to see us in a couple of hours at the other office. In that time, we had to go to the pharmacy and pick up the Methotrexate that they would use to start ending the pregnancy.

When we met with Dr. J, he couldn't believe the results, he said it really only happens a couple of times a year. We discussed the option of surgery vs the shot. Our biggest fear is that this will drag on for weeks only to end in surgery anyways so maybe we should do the surgery and end it now. He convinced us to give the shot a chance and see what happened. If we needed a second dose, we would then probably do surgery instead.

All my labs came back normal (checked liver, etc.) so they gave me the shot of Methotrexate around 2 and sent us home with very strict instructions to call if we started to feel anything abnormal.

We decided to head out to dinner to get our minds off everything and during dinner I started feeling horrible. I was lightheaded, achy and was shaking. We called the on-call doctor and he said they were normal side-effects of the Methotrexate...fabulous. I didn't sleep much last night and woke up achy and sore this morning...luckily the shaking had stopped.

So now we wait...they said I am a ticking time bomb until my beta numbers start to decrease which may take 5-7 days. I am second guessing every twinge, every ache and wondering if we need to head to the emergency room.

I think our biggest frustration in this is that it will be at least July now before we can do a FET...

And the icing on the cake...we were supposed to leave for our annual ski trip with the in-laws on Thursday. I don't ski so it was just going to be a relaxing week for me and I was really looking forward to it... but Dr. J thinks it is a bad idea. We planned this whole IVF cycle around being able to take the trip we knew we would know one way or another how things had ended. We figured worse case scenario was that we couldn't go becuase I was pregnant and needed bed rest or something...we never imagined we would have to cancel the trip becuase of this...


  1. I am soooo sorry. My heart aches for you. I dont know why things happen the way they do. I will keep you in my prayers!

  2. I am really sorry about what you are going through. I had an ectopic pregnancy as well. It is such an emotional time and it's just an awful thing to have to go through.
    You will know if you need to go to the hospital. Especially if you have trouble breathing. Ugh...I hate this for you. But if you do have to have surgery, it really isn't a bad surgery. My prayers are with you.

  3. Oohhh. I hate that you feel like you're a ticking timebomb. Just muted the TV to say a prayer.