Friday, February 19, 2010

Retrieval and Transfer Take 3

I wish I knew what was wrong with my blog but I have written about my retrieval twice and my transfer once and it keeps disappearing so I got smart..I'm typing this in Word and am going to cut and paste...then if it disappears I can try again without retyping.

The bad thing in all of this is that the story gets shorter each time so you are now getting the abbreviated version...

Tuesday, Feb 9
Had an ultrasound and there were 16 follicles over 12!! 8 of them were over 18. The US tech was positive that they would have me trigger that day pending anything crazy in my bloodwork. The bad part of the day was the very painful blood draw. I have very small veins and the blood draws are very difficult for me. Luckily, I handle it pretty well and don't even mind all the bruises too much. Well Tuesday, they tried a different spot since all my normal ones were pretty bruised from all the recent draws. It bubbled up and after getting about half the amount they needed, they had to pull out the needle. I ended up with a huge bruise that lasted a week. Then when they switched to my other wrist, I suddenly got light headed and came close to passing out. That has never happened to me!! yah to the end of daily blood draws!!

The nurse called me a few hours later and gave me the go ahead to trigger at 5:30 and we were to report for retrieval at 6 on Thursday morning.

Thursday, Feb 11
We were up at 4 and headed to get our eggs!! We had about 45 minutes of instructions, blood pressure, etc and then I was headed back. The last thing I remember is them checking my ID band and when I woke back up I was back in our recovery room. When we got our number I was pretty disappointed that we only got 8. I know that 8 is a pretty good number and that a lot of people would love that number but what concerned me was that we went from 16 good follicles to only 8 eggs. I went home and slept most of the rest of the day. I wasn't too sore and really only felt anything if I started to overdo it, pick up JR. etc.

Friday, Feb 12
I was all ready to spend the day fretting about the fertilization report so I was THRILLED when I got the call at 8:30. Of the 8 eggs, 7 were mature enough to fertilize and all 7 were showing signs of growth. YAH!!! I felt so much better about things. They said they would call on Saturday about if we would transfer on Sunday or Tuesday.

Saturday, Feb 13
Got the call around noon that we are a DAY 5 transfer :)

Monday, Feb, 15
We spent HOURS going back and forth between putting in 1 or 2 embryos and if we would be willing to freeze if there was only 1 embryo to freeze. We went through every possible scenario and what we thought we would do but went to bed without being 100% sure.

Tuesday, Feb 16
We left the house about 6, took my valium and started drinking my water at 7 and got to the office at 7:15. They took us back right away and we immediately met with the embryologist. They said we had two embryos that were BBs and we were on the border of whether to transfer 1 or 2. That we should start thinking about it and our doctor would be in later to talk to us about it. As far as the other 5, there were 3 that they were still considering for freezing but they wouldn't know for sure until the next day. We discussed our concern about freezing 1 and she brought up a point that we honestly hadn't thought of before. SHe talked about how if we only froze one we could do another fresh cycle next time and then if there were only 1 or 2 left to freeze from that batch we could combine the two for a more successful transfer. So we started the discussion again. We were a little disappointed that the embryos were Bs instead of As and in our mind felt that that would probably bump us to 2. But when our doctor came in, he made such a good case for 1 (I had one child with little assistance, twins would be a lot harder for us when we already have one child, and we run the risk of splitting and having even more than 2). He reminded me that we had a better chance of this working becuase of JR. and that since I have decent insurance converage doing more cycles is a good option for us. So we transferred one of the little guys (we named him Fred). We paid the $850 to put the other BB on ice and they told us we would hear tomorrow about the other 3. I went home and was a very successful couch potato. Without Jr. around, I took advantage of being able to watch TV and watched a lot of 16 and pregnant. I figured maybe they could give me some pointers!!

Wednesday, Feb 17
I got the call from the lab during my acupuncture appointment that all 3 of the other embryos they were watching made it to freeze so now we have 4!!!

So now we beta is next Friday!!


  1. That is awesome! Congrats. I will be thinking of you!

  2. Very happy for you!!! Can't wait to hear!!

  3. I no longer have the blog infertility-myfault
    Due to family issue I made a new one.
    New one